Support for Young LGBT People in Sligo/Leitrim
What is SMILY and who is it for?
SMILY is a youth group in Sligo and Leitrim for young people aged between 14-18 years who identify as Lesbian, Gay, bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) or who are questioning their identity. SMILY aims to provide a safe and fun environment, where young LGBT people can be who they are or want to be, can socialise with like-minded people, in an accepting space, developing friendships, gaining knowledge through training , to become better equipped to challenge the inequalities faced by LGBT+ young people, to be a possible bringer of change to their own lives and the lives of others.
What are the benefits of SMILY?
Some benefits of SMILY include
- An opportunity for self-expression
- Peer support and one to one support
- Connecting with other young people who may be experiencing similar challenges
- Young people have sense of belonging and pride in who they are
- Make new friends
- Improved coping skills, communication skills and increased self-confidence
- Support with the “Coming Out” process.
- Giving LGBT young people a voice and action in leadership.
- Empowering young people for positive change in society
- Building stronger LGBT and Ally communities.
- Celebrating and recognising diversity.
Benefits for parents and families:
- Relationships are restored and strengthened.
- Communication improved
- Coping mechanisms improved.
- Parents are supported to support their young people.
- Confidence to address homophobia.
- Realisation and appreciation that their child has not changed.
- LGBT Awareness workshops
- One to one Support
- SMILY Youth Group
- Teacher guidance and advice around SPHE moduals
- Parent Suport
Parents and professionals working with young people can contact the number below to find out about our referral pathways.
SMILY meets once a week for 2 hours if you are interested in attending please feel free to get in touch.
Want to know more contact us
Mobile: 089 482 0330