Leitrim Youth Project
This Special Project for Youth (SPY)is based in the Base Youth Café , Hill Road, Drumshanbo and funded by DCYA. It was established in 1989 to combat social isolation and rural disadvantage in Leitrim. The Project works with and for young people aged 10 – 18 years old across the county in partnership with young people, parents and volunteer leaders.
Main Services provided include:
- Targetted youth work in the Base café with young people aged 10+ Support to communities and parents with setting up youth clubs, cafes and projects in rurally isolated areas
- Volunteer training: we offer induction, child protection, leadership and skills days
- Providing youth information, administration help, assistance with grant application
- Counselling service in Base Café .
- Promoting participation in inter-club activities, regional and national programmes and opportunities including games, hikes, disco’s quiz’s.
- Running Summer Projects – annual programmes of activities for young people in partnership with communities
- Organising exchanges with group in Northern Ireland, England and Europe.
- Issue based workshops
- Collaboration and networking with other agencies.
- Health promotion programmes – healthy eating, activity days etc.
- Adventure Projects, Drama Projects, Film and DVD Projects, Arts Projects
- Junior leadership training for young people
- Equipment/Resource Library – a large stock of resources which are available to affiliated groups and includes camping equipment, video and photography equipment, sports equipment and a range of books and learning material.
Youth Clubs/Café and projects in County Leitrim, cater for socially isolated young people . The menu of activities is ever growing and youth clubs have come a long way in recent years, reflecting a vibrant mix of local youth volunteers, youth committees and professional support from Leitrim Youth Project. At the local youth club/cafe, members, volunteer leaders and Leitrim Youth Project staff plan a programme of activities that is driven by the members’ interest and needs. The menu might include many different activities under the headings of sports, culture, recreation, arts, personal development, education and trips and exchanges through local, regional and national levels. Most of all, however, the local youth club/cafe is a place to be ‘yourself’ to meet with friends, hang out and grow as a person in a safe, local environment. In rural communities in Leitrim, the club/youth café provides an opportunity for young people to have a real and meaningful role in shaping their lives. Values such as respect, co-operation, responsibility and participation are promoters
We also support and run Summer Playschemes in local communities annually
The role of the volunteer youth worker/leader has always been and still is central to the ethos of youth work in Leitrim Project. Without volunteers many clubs/youth cafes could not operate. Volunteers commit time and energy for the benefit of young people. As a volunteer you learn and gain skills as well as share your knowledge and skills, you are challenged and make an impact and difference to young people at this vital development stage of their lives. We provide the support, training and insurance – you commit the time, 1 – 2 hours a week.
Young people in clubs and cafes have the opportunity to train in leadership and work alongside adult volunteer leaders in clubs/cafes and projects and become involved in local, regional and national events and opportunities.
The Base Youth Café
The Base Café is a community based dedicated safe space for young people to meet, chill out and take part in leisure, creative and educational activities and projects chose by themselves. It is a simple meeting place that is respectful of individuals and inclusive of all. It is a space to build relationships, explore values and obtain information. There is weekly drop in groups and specific projects – film, animation, rapping cookery, gardening, kayaking , sports etc
Address: Hill Road, Drumshanbo