Sligo Youth Information Centre has been in operation since 1989. One of a network of 30 such centres around the country, the centre provides a free, comprehensive and confidential service to young people and those who work with them.
PROVIDE INFORMATION on:
- Accommodation– lists of available accommodation, housing options, landlord/tenant rights and entitlements, rent books.
- Education/Careers– Advice on Further Education Options in Ireland and Britain, correspondence and distance learning, adult education, scholarship and grants, career choices.
- Employment and Training/Career Guidance , C.V. Writing, interview skills, job applications, mock interviews, job advertisements, employments rights, training and employment schemes, job opportunities abroad, voluntary work, etc.
- Travel– Summer jobs abroad, J1 visas to the USA, hosteling, youth and student travel, youth exchange programmes, work permits and visas,
- Emigration– USA, Australia, Canada, etc. passports/visas
- Health– health services, nutrition, disease prevention, alcohol and other drugs, counselling and support services
- Youth Rights– justice issues, legal rights, citizenship, consumer rights, etc.
- Youth Activities– youth organisations, local youth clubs, activities for youth groups, how to set up a youth group, competition/awards
- Local Information– local transport, local youth groups, tourist information, other agencies, etc.
STUDENT LEAP CARD – Students Age 12 + (No Age Limit)
Available to FULL TIME & PART-TIME Students studying for *at least 6 months duration with a minimum 16 hours class time per week.
Youth Club Support – Sligo and Leitrim – aged 5 to 18 years
We provide with support and training to affiliated youth clubs to Youth Work Ireland North Connaught. This includes: – Youth Clubs activities, Summer projects, Sports activities, Youth Leadership Training, Child Protection Training, Volunteer and Induction Training, Programme Planning and assistance with grant applications.
Child Protection Training
We provide Child First Protection Training to all those who are working with young people. The Child Protection Programme provides training support to youth work organisations and individuals through: The Child Protection Awareness Programme (CPAP). This four hour basic awareness course is the standardised child protection training programme for the youth work sector.
Sligo Youth Information Centre offer a outreach service in the form of workshops, information nights, displays, presentations, etc., to youth and school groups, community groups, men’s and women’s groups, etc.
PROGRAMMES & WORKSHOPS:
Youth Employment Programme (Individual Appointments & Group Work)
A youth friendly programme providing career guidance, support and advice to help you choose your future options. Develop CV writing skills and interview skills. Identify and present individual interests, aptitudes and abilities. Build confidence and development soft skills. Explore employment options and progression routes in training, education. and college applications.
B4U Decide – Relationships and Sexual Health
This programme explores making responsible decisions in relationships, developing personal safety, body awareness and exploring consent issues.
Internet Safety & Responsible Online Behaviour
Raise awareness and develop skills with young people to become responsible internet users, stay safe on the internet and cyberbullying through group discussion, peer to peer learning, games, quizzes, wordsearches.
Positive Mental Health
Using mindfulness and positive self talk can help reduce stress and anxiety. Moment 2 Moment Mindfulness promotes calm thinking, sharpens concentration and checks Self Talk by tuning in and becoming more alert to your present thoughts, behaviours and feelings.
European Youth Mobility Information
Information workshops aimed to increase young people’s awareness of opportunities available to study, train, work and volunteer in Europe in partnership with Eurodesk/Leargas.
Preparing for College Life
Time management, communication and advocacy skills, setting goals and achieving outcomes, staying safe, healthy eating and healthy relationships.
Co-ordinator: Catherine McCann
Youth Information Officer: Anne Brennan
Community Employment Scheme Supervisor: Marian O’Hara
Sligo Youth Information Centre, Rockwood Parade, Sligo
Tel: 071 9144150
Fax: 071 9145578